By Motivational Speaker Connie Podesta
So we have talked about how to Quit Living in the Past—letting go, releasing and forgiving, moving on, and taking back control of the here and now. But, for some people, living in the past has never been one of their particular obstacles. In fact, they deal with exactly the opposite…
Which brings us to #2…Quit Living in the Future
How many of you can relate to this? You are the ones who are one, two, even twenty steps ahead of yourself. Before you have even completed a project, your brain has already moved into fifth gear and you are on to the next big thing. Sometimes leaving the first one unfinished and crying out for closure. Are you a “living in the future” addict? Are you always worried, stressed and uptight about what might happen, could happen and should happen rather than putting your energy, creativity and focus on what you can control TODAY?
Do any of these apply to you?
- You are more concerned with what happens next than what is happening now.
- You are rarely satisfied with what you have done and want it to be better, faster, more creative, etc.
- You project what you believe will happen without allowing things to take their natural course.
- You manipulate events to try and get the results you want.
- You often compare yourself with others and find yourself lacking, which pushes you to speed up and do more.
- You never have enough time to do all the things you dream of doing.
- People who know you always tell you to slow down, take a break, or relax. (And you find that SO annoying!)
- You pride yourself on being able to do ten things at once, but can’t find your car keys.
- You always think that as soon as you finish this one last thing, you will be able to just take it easy.
- You interrupt people a lot because you are too busy thinking of what you are going to say rather than listening to what they are saying to you.
Sound familiar? If any of this sounds like you, then welcome to the world of the future. Now don’t get me wrong—looking ahead, having a plan and being prepared are admirable traits. As long as your mind can also stay grounded and focused on the here and now. And healthy competition is a key ingredient to success and productivity, but when you are constantly competing with yourself, you are fighting a losing battle.
Those of you that know me, also know that I do NOT set goals, never have and never will. One of the reasons is this: I don’t want to decide today what I am going to achieve tomorrow. The minute that happens, I figure out ways to manipulate and maneuver my decisions and choices around the path that I believe will best get those goals met.
And my question to myself is: What if there is another path, an even better one that I am missing because I am so determined to achieve my “GOAL” that I don’t allow new doors to open, new ideas to enter into the equation, and new strategies that might work for me in the long run even better?
The past? We need to recognize it, own it, deal with it, forgive it, be empowered by it and use the lessons to live today fully.
The future? We need to appreciate that we can’t control it, do the best we can to prepare for it, think about all the possibilities it may bring and then—live our life today fully, completely and with gratitude, thankfulness, and appreciation.
Too often people let the past be about regrets and the future be about worry. Neither emotion is going to get your needs met, make you a better person, increase your ability to love and be loved, mend a heart, or solve a problem….at this moment. Take a deep breath. Take another one. People always tell me: Connie, life is too short. That’s true, but believe me it’s even shorter when you are not fully present in your body, in your life, in your mind, in your heart RIGHT NOW!
So if you’re up for it…make today about today – and QUIT getting in your own way!
Two Take-Aways to Share With YOUR Social Circle Today:
- Worrying about the future is wasted energy. Daily success is like winning a raffle – your PRESENCE (in the PRESENT) is REQUIRED.
- MINDSET Check: Never be so FOCUSED on the FUTURE that you miss the opportunities (and blessings) of TODAY.
Stay with us on this journey right here at www.conniepodesta.com/blog! I’d love to hear your thoughts so leave a comment or two and please share with your friends! (We’re all in this together right?) Be sure to follow me on Facebook & Twitter too – we share fun stuff and think BIG there every day! I’d love to have you join in the conversation!
Other articles in this series include: